Steamboat is well-known for its bright, laid-back summers and our high stashes of fresh powder in the winter. But despite its beauty, fall is often forgotten as a time to visit or enjoy the boat. I’ve thrown together a list of my favorite activities to enjoy throughout the fall to help inspire locals on great things to keep you busy in the fall and provide incentives for the rest of you to stop by Steamboat!
- Hike or Run- With the leaves down and the temperatures beginning to drop, getting out for an run or hike is often a great afternoon or day activity. If the snow happens to fall it only adds to the experience. Heading out to Mad Creek or even Spring Creek, the trails are often empty allowing you to enjoy the scenery. Make sure to bring plenty of layers, you never know what the weather will bring!
- Bike- Whether this involves heading over to Howelsen to cruise around some of the single-track, taking a day-long trip on your road bike along River Rd, or riding your cruiser down the Core Trail, everyone can get out and enjoy the fall weather on their bikes.
- Visit the Hot Springs- Enjoying the cooling fall temps, trips up to the Hot Springs are often great ways to spend a fall evening. As the sun sets, temperatures drop, and the snow-flakes begin to fall, you never want to get out of the hot water. With smaller crowds, you can often get one of the hot spring pools all to yourself!
- Enjoying the Local Concerts- The concerts don’t end with the summer concert series, but continue indoors throughout Steamboat. Mainly located in bars and restaurants throughout town, there are some talented acts that are brought into town and many more who live and preform right here in Steamboat.
- Get Stoked for the Winter- There is no shortage of planning, shopping or checking the weather report that can be done. Or if you are free, stop by one of the many Steamboat Ski Movie Showings. With films from Teton Gravity, Warren Miller and even some talented locals, there is always something to be done for the upcoming season.
But this is just my list, feel free to add any of your favorite things to in Steamboat, I would love to hear some things that keep you busy during the fall!